Monday, February 9, 2009

egg custard

I was gifted two dozen (HOLY CHICKEN) farm fresh eggs...

what the hell am I going to do with all those lovely eggs?

So I am baking a custard, from memory, which I hope will resemble the ones my grandmother used to make, and awaken an appetite in my son.

4 farm eggs (smallish if you are using store bought)
3 cups milk or cream
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt

whisk everything but the milk together well

warm the milk, but don't boil it

then whisk it into the egg mixture S L O W L Y

sprinkle with nutmeg


bake in a bain marie at 300 for 1 hour.

here is a link to a very cute little old woman, making step by step egg custard. I love how she is using coffee mugs.

I personally used a mishmash of white french ramekins, red fiestaware custard cups and some cobalt blue Meyer custard cups from Germany.

No comments:

Post a Comment