Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Our lady of many cake plates and books


I have a work potluck to attend this evening and a cake was requested. 
So I made an old standby- my vegan citrus & coconut cake.  Essentially a basic genoise cake veganised with egg replacer and coconut milk  to retain the moisture and fluff factor.
I have always gotten excellent results when I bake it in a copper tube pan, but as you can see, this time it cracked a bit when I turned it out of the pan. 

The crumb seemed very excellent though so I hid the cracks with some lemon glaze & thinly sliced oranges.

I wanted to transport the cake in one of my vintage cake carriers, which required the near death experience of having the cutglass (heavy) cake plate fall on my head, as I had foolishly stored it on the top of a 6' bookshelf  (doesn't everyone stash vintage serving pieces in their library? )

I would like everyone to take a moment and admire my faithful Sunbeam mixer.  It is a freaking champ, whipping the dickens out of batter to make the lightest and fluffiest cakes!  I bought it at an estate sale 20 years ago, and it was old then.  Sunbeam, you rock!

No comments:

Post a Comment