Monday, August 31, 2009

Well, Well, Well

Screaming on the inside.
This is my busy time of year.
My busiest week of the year and today was my busiest day.
I think I did a pretty good job of coping, multi-tasking and getting stuff done.
I see, however, that it may not be a very good idea for 41 year old women to go with that makeup free, with just a dash of red lipstick, look.
Who knew I was parading around Portland looking like the joker. I was letting some of my inner angst and frustration out to "well, well, well" by John Lennon, when I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror.
YIKES!
Then to makes matters worse, I came home to Maxwell and his best friend, rough housing and "horsing around"
(never thought you would say that, did you? Ha! I am at the point in life where I start saying "horsing around")
In the 6 weeks since we saw this best friend, that we have know since both boys were 2, he has bleached his hair and taken on a sort of Mad Max meets the guy from the Matrix look & attitude.
WOW!
me; "what's the blonde hair all about Z"
Z; "because I am so awesome"

Well, there you go.

Snark, right in my livingroom and me with no snappy comeback.

I knew this day would come, but some how I expected to be perceived as the cool mom and to be spared the attitude.

When I hear myself reminding them to use a coaster, wash their hands and drink some water, I know I will forever be barred from the ranks of cool.

Well, at least we will all be clean, neat and well hydrated.

4 comments:

  1. were we ever cool? or were they just too little to care what dorks we really are?

    it's okay, they are born of dorks and dorks they shall also become. the cool phase is but a short blip on the great journey of life, they should enjoy thinking they're better than everyone else for at least a little while before they are forced to wise up and realize we're all hopeless wonks in the same soup together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey man! I was TOTALLY cool, in that nervous geeky sort of way, back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are cool Heidi!

    Look at me! Able to comment on your blog! Yay!

    ReplyDelete