Friday, August 7, 2009

some of these things belong together...

Remember that great old Sesame Street song?
Well, clearly Ripley St. Jude, doesn't belong in a posting about oatcake, or chutney, but he looked so cute with his new haircut, that I had to include him anyway.
I was overcome by the urge to bake, last night at 7:30pm, so I went with my old standby, the vegan applesauce cake, which lends itself to infinite variation. I had some elderly marrionberries in the fridge, so we threw those on top.
I also had a big, giant pile of golden plums, that needed to be dealt with, so I made some chutney out of the lion's share, using the recipe from the Joy of cooking, as remembered by me, being far to lazy to go so far as to open up the book and make sure my memory was right. I think it turned out well.
All I had on hand was 1 red pepper, and since I wanted to share with folks at work, I left out garlic and onion, since they don't eat those items.
It could benefit from something spicier, like a hot pepper, or fresh ginger.

I made some whipped cream to put on the cake, and I added some sliced candied ginger to the whipped cream, and boy was that ever good! WOW!
This cake:
2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 oil
1 teaspoon soda
1 cup applesauce
1/4 cup oatbran
1 teaspoon vanilla
topped with fresh berries
bake at 350 until done, like an hourish if you are making it in a 9x9 pan, less if you are making it in small heartshaped ramekins or cupcakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment