Saturday, May 30, 2009

super fan stays up late


I am a teensy bit groggy this morning, having stayed up past midnight last night, which is not something I do, usually, since Freyja wakes up at the crack of dawn, regardless of how late she goes to bed.

Rolf babysat her, so the trade off to going out, was coming home at 11:00 to a rampaging Freyja, having consumed bubble gum, lime soda and the better part of a loaf of white bread.

We went to see Anthony Bourdain last night, and it was every bit as exciting as I had hoped. The crowd was rowdy and bawdy, and I was so excited to have been out of the house and having fun, that I went a little nuts and stayed up another hour chatting Rolf up.

Anthony (I feel that my deep love for him gives me the right to be on a first name basis) talked about all my favorite subjects, made fun of Alice Waters and organic food fascists, and was unabashedly gushy & sentimental about his toddler.

The lecture was held at the Civic auditorium, rather that the Schintzer theatre (which I hate because the rows are too close together. That squished feeling spoils the whole evening.)

The Q&A portion of the talk was a little too long, and some of the folks asking questions were rambling and a little boring, but all and all it was one of the best things I have ever done, ranking right up there with a lecture from Kurt Vonnegut, that I attended in the late 80's- and you know how dearly I love Kurt, so there you are.

Freyja woke me up at 6:30am demanding to go to "the big red mill" (Bob's Red Mill), for breakfast. She, Rolf and I snuck out and let Mark sleep a bit longer.
It is amazing how restorative having a bit of fun can be!

Despite being tired as hell, I feel remarkably good! So good in fact, that I am off to Home Depot, to by bricks to make a border around our cardoon.

Does it get any better than that?

No comments:

Post a Comment