Thursday, April 9, 2009

communication breakdown

I used to think of myself as a good communicator.

Not anymore.

I have no idea if I am getting dumber and more base lately, or if I was deceiving myself in the past when I fancied myself a good communicator.

Over the past year or so, I have had a number of really strange interactions that led to people getting offended or misunderstanding what I meant.

This has come up at work over and over, and a few times now in my personal life, while I feel innocent, clearly it has to do with me, and my way of communicating, otherwise there is no way it would happen so often.

One example that is really silly, is the Rolf became grossly offended by a Shostakovitch record I put out, as a sort of decoration and accused me of "trying to tell him something", WOW, that would be taking passive aggressive to a really creative new level!

I am sort of fresh out of ideas, other than crawling under a rock and enacting a "radio silence". Not very practical, but it is the solution that appeals to me the most.

It has been a rough week. I had a mom yell at me, over some four year old squabble, that she felt I was not taking seriously enough, someone flipped me off in a fit of road rage, all kinds of vibing at work, Mark being prickly, Rolf accusing me of sending messages with classical music records from the 60's and on and on.

I am going to try to limit my colorful or creative expression to here and otherwise keep my yap shut.

No comments:

Post a Comment