Friday, March 4, 2011

coming out of my shell , or am I out of my tree?

We are attending the fundraiser auction at Freyja's school next Friday.

Event like this usually make me cringe, but since I am attempting to be less marginalized (Since I am the one putting myself in the margin), and less socially retarded, I thought I would give it a whirl. 

We attended this event two years ago when Maxwell was at this school and spent the evening sitting pretty much alone, so this time I have signed us up to sit with other parents from Freyja's class.

I will force myself not to be too shy, and I will attempt casual conversation with strangers, both things are huge challenges for me, but I am starting to freak even myself out, with my level of hermitness, so here we go!

The woman coordinating the table phoned me today to confirm that we had paid, and that yes, we do indeed want to sit there.
It seems that the whole thing is all set.
Goody.

2 comments:

  1. now you're threatening my hermitness with your bravery.

    i excuse myself by saying i have talents other than being social with strangers, and that this more than makes up for my lack of social skills. or at least, that particular social skill, since getting along with people you already know doesn't seem to be a problem for me, as long as those folks don't mind rapid-fire over-sharing, mixed with my complete inability to socialize in any meaningful way past 9 p.m.

    hey, though, experiments are always fun. if you have a scientific mind at all, you could aim yourself in the sciencey direction with it and maybe that'll make it less freak-outy? i dunno. i'm the wrong person to be suggesting anything helpful, clearly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dunno, I guess I assume that people think I am weird, although I hardly ever thing people are weird, unless they do something weird.

    ReplyDelete