Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Operator, give me long distance...

I just got off the phone with a dear friend that moved across the country to the south, and is feeling a little like she landed in a foreign country.

Apparently her neighbor has forbidden her child to play with my friend's child over some potty talk. 

My friend is livid because it was the neighbor child that initiated the naughty words in the first place and she feels that the neighbor is being extreme in her reaction, which also included spanking her son, and "grounding" him, all over some  eight year old children saying "penis head" or "butt head" or some related head word. 

Spanking and grounding and fundie Christians, you are surely not in Portland any more my friend.

I grew up with  religious family members that would say the most outrageously insulting, horrible things to each other, but always avoiding swear words, so it was acceptable.   I certainly don't want my children to swear, but I would rather hear a damn, than a stupid, fat, ugly or retarded.

People have such wide differences when it comes to parenting.

"I need my people" she said. 

Me too.

For twenty-five years we have propped each other up, and this distance has been really hard.

Merry freaking Christmas Butthead, I love you and miss you a lot.  

1 comment: