Friday, June 24, 2011

Maui,maui, bomaui, MAUI

So it has been over six YEARS since our last vacation, and I blame myself.

I am pretty picky about what constitutes a vacation for me.

Mark is no picnic either, with his  workaholic nature and weird sleep issues. 

Really, it is a wonder we ever leave the house.

When we just had Maxwell, things were pretty simple, drop child at moms place in SF, and continue on in plane to Mazatlan, a place we both love a lot- what's not to love?

World class beach, cheap eats and cocktail service on the beach with cute little frond huts to sit beneath.  PERFECT for two nervous nellies looking for a little sun and solitude.

When we had the princess things became complicated. 

She is a very high needs child and we both felt weird about leaving her, not to mention Mark's job had become a sort of octopus that made getting away pretty impossible.

We both had crashed pretty badly by January of this year, needing a break in a very big way.

I want us to go on a real holiday for spring break!   

I demanded.

Ha!

Said life.

I want to go to Mexico with the kids in March! 

I pleaded, but the airfaires were absurdly expensive, there is a travel advisory (and while I personally and am not deterred by drug gangs cutting each other's head's off, I don't feel good about exposing the kids to it)  and besides, Mark had to work and so did I.

At some point we were getting really stressed about vacations and lack of vacations and I hired a travel agent to find one for us, which Mark took as a sign of weakness, like I was giving in, but I took as a sign from GOD, that the time to get the hell out of Dodge was NOW.

So a very sweet hippie woman from Eugene found us a great condo and booked everything and off we went.

Maui felt a little cliched to me, but once we were at our little condo, which was not even close to a touristy place, with it's private beach and lack of a bar, then I felt better. 

This was not a restful beach holiday, this was an up at 5:00am (LOUD birds & time difference) and hike, swim, snorkel, go, go, go! type of deal. 

I returned tired and bruised up, but it was fun. 



1 comment:

  1. Good for you for calling the travel agent. They can find good deals sometimes.

    We're like that on vacation too. Constant adventures and not too much down time.

    Aquitana

    ReplyDelete