Tuesday, August 31, 2010

misfits and a new camera

the fam, with Mark looking more bald than he really is.
We have a million things this week.  Most of them related to Maxwell's new school. 

I hate casual social events and meeting new people in particular. 

I cringe at the thought of  social situations, where one is required to make small talk. 

It has been a painful week. 
On Sunday there were a number of potlucks "get togethers", so I randomly chose one and RSVPed. 

We showed up to a very fancy house with very fancy grass, only to discover that the people all lived in that neighborhood, and that all of their kids had gone to school together since kindergarten. 
Maxwell was not feeling well, but was a pretty good sport, as the other kids ignored him completely and none of the parents encouraged inclusion. 
It felt weird. 
All of the parents looked really old.  They looked like my parents- well not my real parents, but like what my parents would look like if they were ultra middle class, and fancy.  I felt like some kind of hippie freak, with tacky shoes.
Freyja was horrible, and wild and I wanted to crawl under a rock.

And to add insult to injury, only one person ate my pie. 

It was an outstanding pie, damn it and deserved to be eaten.  

Needless to say this is not what I had expected from the arts magnet school crowd, but Mark thinks it was an anomaly.  The children there didn't seem arty to me, they were all in band and ballet, the expensive kinds of art, not the alternative kinds of kids that are Maxwell's friends.


The good news is that Rolf bought me a new camera, and hooked it up to the computer. 

Hooray!  Lots of random photos to follow. 

Lucky YOU!


test shot of kitty
a blueberry polenta cake I made for Rolf's girlfriend's birthday
my new $2.50 t-shirt!

the raccoon, up to no good!


amazing local produce!


black quinoa salad, with chickpeas!

pickled beets and green beans!


No comments:

Post a Comment