Friday, July 2, 2010

El condor pasa

is the only thing I know about Peru.

I'd rather be a sparrow than a snail.
Yes I would.
If I could,
I surely would.
I'd rather be a hammer than a nail.
Yes I would.
If I only could,
I surely would.

 tonight we went wayyyyy the heck out to Gresham for dinner in a teeny Peruvian cafe, El Inka and boy and I glad. 

The service was terrible.  
One young fellow totally overwhelmed, but also totally earnest -a few of us customers pitched in to help things get back on track, serving waters, putting set ups on tables and tidying up and by the time a giant party of eight crowed into the last few inches of space in the tiny dining room, our food came up.    

We had deep fried yucca smothered in a fiery, garlic mayo type sauce
a cauldron of  buttery potato and quinoa porridge
some chicken and steak sauteed in a vinegar sauce with fries that were soaked in the sauce (it worked!) 
a lamb shank with rice and beans in a fiery pepper sauce.

It was all good. 

The meat eaters were happy

The veg eaters were happy.

Everyone was happy. 

We brought three container home. 

There were at least ten items on the menu I would like to try, the next time we go! 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment