Sunday, August 10, 2014

PIE!

I was invited to this pie event that I had been dying to attend for the past five years.  It started as a city wide contest, but then when the contest ended, one of the winners decided to host a giant foodie potluck in the park with pie.  I had heard of it, but never knew anyone directly related, until this year, when I got an invitation and began hatching my pie plan. The even started at noon, so I started my prep work the night before, with my trusty assistant at my side.   Mark was good enough to clean up for me.



I made a kale, mushroom, caramelized onion pie in a shredded potato crust.  It was FABULOUS.  I made some pickles to go with it as a garnish.  People RAVED about this pie, and it was that good.  I also made my old standby, the goat cheese and plum pie, in an oat & almond crust.  It is very good too and very rich.

There were 96 pies represented.  All very good.  There was a leek and Havarti quiche, that was outstanding.  When we arrived, my friend Jim and his girlfriend were not there, so it was sort of weird for a minute, until a woman Mark works with showed up, and everyone assumed we were with her.  She was a jolly sort, and very welcoming. We sat with her and her friends, and had a nice time, which is unusual for me, since I don't usually like big social gatherings, but these were lovely people.

The green pie in the foreground is asparagus and it was fabulous. The little hand pies in the red bowl were filled with bourbon BBQ pork, also outstanding.  The small white souffle pan was ground lamb with Lebanese seasoning, baked in a filo crust, made by the editor from Mark's work, also very good.    There were 240 people invited, all stranger(ish) friends of friends, and everyone showed up with beautiful food to share, some people brought drinks, lawn games, decorations, ice, napkins... it was one of those really beautiful moments where you see the goodness in people shine.


The ugliest photo ever of me, but I am being a good sport.

No comments:

Post a Comment