Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day weekend

I had this vision of homemade mayonnaise, with lemon and herbs, for asparagus.

So Rolf helped me with the beating.  My hands are so wimpy these days, I can't do a lot of whipping or beating.

My special asparagus strainer, that fits inside the asparagus pan which is tall and skinny, and makes it easy not to over cook the tips.

the finished product, going onto some coleslaw. I almost always make cabbage salads with a vinaigrette, rather than mayo, but in this case, it seemed like the right thing to do. after all the work of beating the mayo up.

I also had a vision of roasting ears, so I wrapped all the corn on the cob up and put it on the grill, rather than just boiling it, which would have been easier. 

Maxwell fell asleep before dinner, having spent the night before at a friend's house.  He looked like he was still alseep at the table.  Rolf brought Mexican sodas so the kids thought they were in hog heaven, just drinking a big old bottle of pop right in front of me, like it was the most natural thing in the world.
Rolf making his pear ice cream, which he had been thinking of for months.


Freyja having "pie and ice cream, with no pie, but sprinkles on the ice cream part".

Rolf's girlfriend brought an apple pie, which is my favorite.  

She also brought this fellow, which normally wouldn't be my favorite, but he is very well behaved and super cute.

My poppy never produces more than two flowers. They were really lovely, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment