Sunday, November 17, 2013

One more on social anxiety please

I was talking to a friend about social anxiety and how I can talk your ears right off your head, in a one on one situation, but throw me into a party or a group and I will clam up and appear mute,weird, cold and unfriendly.  I have no idea if that is a good or bad thing (I think most people think it's a bad thing, but I am holding out optimism that perhaps I have been judged overly harshly MY WHOLE LIFE.) Ironically, I talk to people for work, so over the years I have successfully been able to compartmentalize enough to be successful most of the time. 
My mother is fond of telling me that I need to take something for my anxiety, and while this might be true, I have not really observed people taking things with a great deal of luck.  I mean, the people I know that take something for their bad nerves, typically wind up with side effects equal or worse than being shy and nervous.  So, for now I am continuing to just say no.

No comments:

Post a Comment