Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Care for the care giver

I had dinner with my friend in recovery, Sunday night.

It's been pretty tough supporting him, since I find drug addiction utterly puzzling, but I try to be a good friend anyway, I try to relate it to my struggles with food, with attachment. 
I'm never totally clear on this whole letting go business. 
Are we supposed to let go of people?
I am terrible at that, so I most likely will never reach Nirvana.
My friend said "call me everyday", which made me feel uncomfortable.  I don't feel like I can take on that level of responsibility for anyone I have not given birth to.
My husband thinks I surround myself with too many needy people.

They surround me.   I tell him, but he is right.  If I really wanted to I could cut them all out of my life, like the bruised part of an apple.   I don't really like apples, though and I don't like to cut people out, even the ones that call me up at midnight, when I need to be up at 5:00am.

No comments:

Post a Comment