Friday, December 9, 2011

There really IS no accounting for taste.

I spent a good deal of the afternoon on the sofa feeling moderately heart broken over something that I shouldn't really care about. 

Someone was critical about a project that I had worked on and felt good about.  The comment was completely subjective, completely a matter of taste, no right, no wrong, just personal opinion, but it cut me deeply and I'm not sure why. 

Surely symbolic of something bigger, but why now, why today?

The worst part was that I allowed it to get my goat and became defensive. 

I am never clever when I am defensive and I regret not having a pithier come back prepared.

My mother would say

"why on earth do you care what those people think?"

and I would say that I have no idea, but I do, at least I do in the moment.  

Having spent most of my life walking around like an open wound, you would think I'd have learned to scab over.

A few weeks ago a dear friend brought me this trophy.  

It is a bird that we are pretending is a finch and she had it engraved just for me.  

I am placing it right next to me on the sofa this evening to bolster my spirits.

No comments:

Post a Comment